By Adu Koranteng
A high voltage electric transformer mounted by the electricity company of Ghana , (ECG) directly in front of the residence of a retired nursing officer at Boadua , near Akwatia is said to be spreading a high level radiation that is causing several health complications for inhabitants in the house .
Reports indicate that most people living in house number HN 0A86 at Akwatia have developed one form of sickness or the other, as a result of the radiation emitting from the transformer directly into the house. Report says the release of radiation from the transformer has caused inhabitants to develop skin cancer, hypertension among other health problems
Speaking to the New Crusading Guide in an interview, the landlady Abigail Asare Said she has written several letters and petitions to the District Director of ECG in the Denkyembour District in Akwatia to complain about the danger posed to their health but nothing has been done about it.
As I speak to you, we are yet to receive responds from the ECG. When they were fixing the transformer the ECG did not inform us about it. Most of us get up early and go to work and come home late. We came home one day and realized that the transformer has been erected directly in front of my house and it releases radiation and heat into my hall and bedroom through the compound. It is so serious that I am unable to even sit in my hall or sleep comfortably in my bedroom.
I am therefore appealing to the leadership of the Electricity Company of Ghana to instruct their official to relocate the transformer from my house before it kills us. I and my family are not animals to be grilled by heat and radiation in our own house and our native town. We are also appealing to the Minister of Energy and the President of Ghana to put pressure on the ECG to force them to relocate the transformer. It is killing us slowly.