The chief of Kwahu-Obo who doubles as the Nifahene of Kwahu Traditional Area Nana Afari Yeboah Obuagyan has described recent ruling by the Judicial Committee of the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs as a recipe for chaos and threat to national security.
According to the Obohene the three-member committee chaired by the president of the Regional House of Chiefs Nene Sakitey II got it wrong this time and his ruling can result in conflict.
It flashed back that the judiciary Committee of the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs on Thursday March 17, 2022 unanimously ordered Nana Boamah Ayiripe II to stop carrying himself as the chief of the area.
This follows a final judgment and ruling by the judiciary Committee on a protracted chieftaincy dispute in the area after the death of Nana Atuobi Yiadom IV in 2016.
The Judiciary Committee chaired by President of the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs and the Konor of the Manya Krobo traditional area Nene Sackitey II before the applicant and respondents set aside an earlier judgment ruled by the Kwahu Traditional Council.
According to the Judiciary Committee “in considering the whole evidence therefore, Nananom unanimously hold the position that this appeal succeeds in part, the judgement of the judicial committee of the Kwahu Traditional council is therefore set aside and the following substituted in the place:
- a) By the custom and tradition of Kwahu Traditional Area, the nomination of the 6th Respondent was proper and in accordance with the custom.
- b) By the custom and tradition of the Kwahu Traditional Area, the purported selection or election and installation of the 6th Respondent is declared null and void and of no effect.
- c) By the custom and tradition of Kwahu Traditional Area, the nomination selection or election of the 11th Appellant as proper and in accordance with the custom.
- d) The 6th Respondent is hereby restrained from holding himself out as Chief of Nkwetia and or performing any function as a Chief of Nkwatia.
- e) It is ordered that all Respondents, either by themselves agents, assign, privies personal representatives, workman or servants are restrained from holding the 6th Respondent out as Chief of Kwahu Nkwatia.
- f) The Respondent, their agents, Cohorts, workman and assigns are Ordered to vacate the Nkwatia Chiefs palace and return all stool Regalia in their custody, possession and control.
Cost of Twenty Thousand Ghana Cedis (GH₵ 20, 000, 00) to the Appellants.
But the Nifahene of the Kwahu Traditional Area indicated that Kwahu is not different from other Akan tribes which practice Akan custom and tradition.
He disclosed that in Akan custom and tradition, a prospective chief must be validly nominated, selected/ elected, installed” voting does not play role in chieftaincy installation, adding that how can person who has not gone through the process “Nsuaye” takes the position of a chief, the chiefs asked.
Nana Afari Yeboah Obuagyan called on the house of chiefs to promote peace in their judgement irrespective of their interest in a dispute.
On his part, the Gyaasehene of Kwahu Nkwatia Nana Agyekum Benefo II called on the Eastern Regional House of Chiefs to uphold the tenets of custom and tradition pertaining to the enstoolment and destoolment of a chief in the country.