The Minister for Local Government, Chieftaincy and Religious Affairs, Ahmed Ibrahim, says government is awaiting a €1 million grant from the Spanish Embassy to expand the fleet of Ayalolo buses as part of efforts to ease urban transport challenges.
Speaking at a meeting with Vice President Professor Jane Naana Opoku-Agyemang and transport operators on Friday, January 16, Mr Ibrahim blamed the current transport crunch on years of neglect and lack of retooling under the previous NPP administration.
He disclosed that since Ayalolo received 200 buses in 2014, no additional vehicles have been added to the fleet, worsening pressure on public transport, especially in urban centres.
“From 2014 to 2015, President Mahama continued the Ayalolo initiative and even augmented the Metro Mass Transit buses. But for nearly 10 years, there has been no retooling across these unions, and that is why we are facing these problems,” he said.
Mr Ibrahim recounted that upon assuming office, he questioned Ayalolo management over the failure to expand the fleet, leading to a change in leadership.
“When I asked how many buses had been added since 2014, the answer was zero. If all 200 buses are depreciating and none are being replaced, then management must change. That is what we did,” he stated.
According to the minister, the new management has since engaged the Spanish Embassy, which has agreed in principle to support Ayalolo with a €1 million grant, pending a letter of no objection from the Ministry of Finance.
“They are ready to support us. What is needed now is a letter of no objection from the Finance Minister. The Spanish Ambassador has been following up, and we are hopeful the support will soon materialise,” he added.
The Vice President’s visit to the Ministry of Transport forms part of broader engagements to address persistent public transport difficulties in the Greater Accra Region, including vehicle shortages during peak hours, rising fares, and long waiting times for commuters.



















