• Submit article
  • Your News
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
  • Gett Sorted
  • Your News
Sunday, August 23, 2026
27 °c
Labadi
28 ° Mon
28 ° Tue
  • Login
  • Register
The New Crusading Guide Online
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Africa
  • World
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Your News
  • More News
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • News
  • Africa
  • World
  • Business
  • Lifestyle
  • Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Your News
  • More News
No Result
View All Result
The New Crusading Guide Online
No Result
View All Result
Home Social Media
Brexit: MPs vote to take control of Brexit process for indicative votes

Brexit: MPs vote to take control of Brexit process for indicative votes

News Desk by News Desk
March 26, 2019
in Social Media, World
Reading Time: 4 mins read
1.2k 51
A A
0
742
SHARES
1.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

MPs have voted to take control of Commons business in an unprecedented move to try to find a majority for any Brexit option.

The government was defeated by 329 votes to 302 on the cross-party amendment, a majority of 27.

It means MPs will get a series of votes on Wednesday to find out what kind of Brexit they will support.

Prime Minister Theresa May has said there is no guarantee she will abide by their decision.

Related posts

I Have No Interest, Not Offered To Acquire VALCO!

I Have No Interest, Not Offered To Acquire VALCO!

July 29, 2026
1.5k
GoldBod Pumps GH¢8.4m Into Water Projects

GoldBod Pumps GH¢8.4m Into Water Projects

July 15, 2026
1.5k
  • LIVE: MPs take control of Brexit process

But Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn, who had backed the amendment tabled by Conservative Sir Oliver Letwin, said the government “must take the process seriously”.

He added: “The government has failed and this House must, and I believe will, succeed.”

He said MPs would want to find a consensus on the way forward, including a possible “confirmatory vote” on the PM’s deal by the public – something Mrs May told MPs earlier she did not want because Remain would be on the ballot paper.

Mrs May had earlier tried to head off a defeat by offering MPs a series of votes on Brexit alternatives, organised by the government.

She said allowing MPs to take over the Commons agenda would have set an “unwelcome precedent”.

But supporters of Sir Oliver Letwin’s amendment said they did not trust the government to give MPs a say on the full range of Brexit options.

Thirty Tory MPs voted against the government, including three ministers – Richard Harrington, Alistair Burt and Steve Brine – who have now resigned from their ministerial posts.

Following the vote, Shadow Brexit Secretary Sir Keir Starmer tweeted: “Another humiliating defeat for a prime minister who has lost complete control of her party, her Cabinet and of the Brexit process.

“Parliament has fought back – and now has the chance to decide what happens next.”

Analysis box by Laura Kuenssberg, political editor

MPs involved in the bid tonight say if there is a majority for a plan that’s not the prime minister’s deal then there would be “uproar” if Theresa May tried to ignore it.

It is possible, of course, that Brexiteers who have been resisting the prime minister’s deal so far take fright at Parliament having more control of the process, and are more likely to come in line.

That’s because, generally, the make-up of MPs are more likely to back a softer deal than the one on offer.

So faced with the choice of Theresa May’s compromise this week, or a much longer wrangle to a closer relationship with the EU than the prime minister has negotiated, it is not impossible that the numbers will move in her favour.

Read Laura’s blog


Vote breakdown

In the series of so-called indicative votes, MPs will be able to vote on a series of options – likely to include a “softer Brexit”, a customs union with the EU and another referendum – designed to test the will of Parliament to see what, if anything, commands a majority.

But the precise format of the votes and how they will work was not set out in the amendment.

And the prime minister said she was “sceptical” about the process – as it was not guaranteed to produce a majority for any one course of action – and she would not commit the government to abiding by the result.

“The votes could lead to an outcome that is un-negotiable with the EU,” she told MPs.

Media captionPolitical correspondent Nick Eardley with a Brexit update

The Department for Exiting the EU said Monday night’s vote set a “dangerous, unpredictable precedent” for the future.

“It is disappointing to see this amendment pass, as the government made a clear commitment to provide a process to find a majority in Parliament for a way forward this week,” a spokesman said.

“While it is now up to Parliament to set out next steps in respect of this amendment, the government will continue to call for realism – any options considered must be deliverable in negotiations with the EU.

“Parliament should take account of how long these negotiations would take and if they’d require a longer extension which would mean holding European Parliamentary elections.”

The government narrowly defeated a bid by Labour’s Dame Margaret Beckett to give MPs a vote on asking for another Brexit extension if a deal has not been approved by 5 April. Dame Margaret’s amendment was voted down by 314 to 311, a majority of three.

The government was defeated on its main motion, as amended by Sir Oliver Letwin, by 327 votes to 300, a majority of 27.

Mrs May said earlier that her EU withdrawal deal did not have enough support to get through the Commons “as things stand”, but she still hoped to persuade enough MPs to back it so she could hold another vote on it this week.

The deal has already been rejected twice by a large margin – and the PM was forced to ask the EU for Brexit to be delayed.

She plans to pass a law this week cancelling 29 March’s exit date, and pushing Brexit back to at least 12 April.

Resignations

 

 

 

 

 

Previous Post

Israel strikes Hamas targets in Gaza after rocket hits house

Next Post

‘Missing’ Lebanese Businessman Sighted In Lebanon

News Desk

News Desk

Related Posts

I Have No Interest, Not Offered To Acquire VALCO!
Ghana

I Have No Interest, Not Offered To Acquire VALCO!

July 29, 2026
1.5k
GoldBod Pumps GH¢8.4m Into Water Projects
Business

GoldBod Pumps GH¢8.4m Into Water Projects

July 15, 2026
1.5k
RNAQ, Wife Divorce Fight
More News

RNAQ, Wife Divorce Fight

April 8, 2026
1.7k
Standing Tall Against Falsehoods -The Truth Of DSP Alhaji Bawah Abdul Jalil
More News

Standing Tall Against Falsehoods -The Truth Of DSP Alhaji Bawah Abdul Jalil

March 30, 2026
1.6k
Small-scale gold exports hit record $6.3bn – GoldBod
Ghana

GoldBod Responds to NPP Communicators

March 16, 2026
1.6k
EDITORIAL: Allegations Without Evidence Are Not Justice — Why the Attacks on Anas Aremeyaw Anas Collapse Under the Law.
National

EDITORIAL: Allegations Without Evidence Are Not Justice — Why the Attacks on Anas Aremeyaw Anas Collapse Under the Law.

November 23, 2025
1.5k
Next Post
‘Missing’ Lebanese Businessman Sighted In Lebanon

‘Missing’ Lebanese Businessman Sighted In Lebanon

31 Countries Support Peace Between Morocco And Western Sahara

31 Countries Support Peace Between Morocco And Western Sahara

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Muntaka, Bailiff Showdown  @East Lagon Police Station

    Muntaka, Bailiff Showdown @East Lagon Police Station

    1499 shares
    Share 600 Tweet 375
  • F.K. Buah Stands Tall … As A Historian And Educationist -Kwesi Pratt Jnr.

    1412 shares
    Share 565 Tweet 353
  • A-G FILES CHARGES AGAINST NAM 1.

    1255 shares
    Share 502 Tweet 314
  • Addressing the Bawku Conflict: The Need for Unbiased Security Intervention

    1254 shares
    Share 502 Tweet 314
  • SUSPECTED COP KILLER CAGED…In BNI Cells

    1037 shares
    Share 415 Tweet 259
EXTORTION BID FAILED? ‘Golden Boy’ Exposes Afenyo — Shatters His Credibility and Integrity

EXTORTION BID FAILED? ‘Golden Boy’ Exposes Afenyo — Shatters His Credibility and Integrity

August 23, 2026
The Small Building That Built a School

The Small Building That Built a School

August 19, 2026
Spain-Morocco: RTVE Tweet Deleted After Spanish Government Denial

Spain-Morocco: RTVE Tweet Deleted After Spanish Government Denial

August 19, 2026
EXTORTION BID FAILED? ‘Golden Boy’ Exposes Afenyo — Shatters His Credibility and Integrity
Politics

EXTORTION BID FAILED? ‘Golden Boy’ Exposes Afenyo — Shatters His Credibility and Integrity

by Julian Owusu Abedi
August 23, 2026
1.5k
The Small Building That Built a School
Opinion

The Small Building That Built a School

by Kwabena Adu Koranteng
August 19, 2026
1.6k
Spain-Morocco: RTVE Tweet Deleted After Spanish Government Denial
Africa

Spain-Morocco: RTVE Tweet Deleted After Spanish Government Denial

by Kwabena Adu Koranteng
August 19, 2026
1.5k
Vivo Energy Ghana Charts a Bolder Future at 2026 Retail Conference & Awards
Business

Vivo Energy Ghana Charts a Bolder Future at 2026 Retail Conference & Awards

by Kwabena Adu Koranteng
August 18, 2026
1.5k
Dr. Sam Ankrah Urges Governance-Led Repositioning of African Microfinance at Accra Summit*
Business

Dr. Sam Ankrah Urges Governance-Led Repositioning of African Microfinance at Accra Summit*

by Frank Amponsah
August 17, 2026
1.5k

Latest

  • EXTORTION BID FAILED? ‘Golden Boy’ Exposes Afenyo — Shatters His Credibility and Integrity August 23, 2026
  • The Small Building That Built a School August 19, 2026
  • Spain-Morocco: RTVE Tweet Deleted After Spanish Government Denial August 19, 2026
  • Vivo Energy Ghana Charts a Bolder Future at 2026 Retail Conference & Awards August 18, 2026
  • Dr. Sam Ankrah Urges Governance-Led Repositioning of African Microfinance at Accra Summit* August 17, 2026
ADVERTISEMENT
pin up casino
пинап
париматч
рейтинг казино
ван вин
The New Crusading Guide Online

The New Crusading Guide is a privately own newspaper in Ghana with Mr ABdul Malik Kweku Baako as its Editor in Chief. We give you the latest news

casino pinco

Follow us on social media:

bsl.community
kidstravel2.com
kortkeros.ru
prockomi.ru

Recent News

  • EXTORTION BID FAILED? ‘Golden Boy’ Exposes Afenyo — Shatters His Credibility and Integrity
  • The Small Building That Built a School
  • Spain-Morocco: RTVE Tweet Deleted After Spanish Government Denial
  • Vivo Energy Ghana Charts a Bolder Future at 2026 Retail Conference & Awards
  • Dr. Sam Ankrah Urges Governance-Led Repositioning of African Microfinance at Accra Summit*

Special Links

  • Submit article
  • Your News
  • Advertise
  • Advertise
  • Gett Sorted
  • Your News

Quick Links

  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
  • About
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
  • About

© 2025 The New Crusading Online - All rights Reserved. Powered by Uthink.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password? Sign Up

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

All fields are required. Log In

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Science
  • News
  • World
  • Business
  • National
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Opinion
  • Tech

© 2025 The New Crusading Online - All rights Reserved. Powered by Uthink.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Not enough quota to unlock this post
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
Go to mobile version